Ballet Slippers Forever
Pointes of Interest!
- Ballet Slippers or Ballet Shoes are called Pointe Shoes.
- During perfomances, male ballet dancers can lift more than a ton of ballerinas!
- It can take over ten metres of net and over 60 hours of work to make a tutu.
- When a ballet dancer jumps on pointe, the tip of her big toe carries three times her body weight.
- Dancers, cellists, bassists, violinists and baseball pitchers all rub rosin on their "tools of the trade" to stop slipping.
- Ballet began in Paris, France in 1661.
- Male dancers in Italy are called ballerinos. Men and boys who dance classical ballet in Australia are called (male) ballet dancers.
- To help Romanian police officers direct traffic with ease and grace, they were sent to ballet classes. (Source: Queensland Ballet)
Whether you dance, have danced or dance in your dreams; the magic of ballet is a love that stays throughout life. Oh My Giddy Aunt's Ballet themed jewellery is made in sterling silver or solid gold to last throughout life too. We've listed a few here, or if you have an idea for a special piece contact us and we'll be happy to help.
11 June 2016
12 January 2020
20 March 2020